"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Unforced Errors II

Hard to imagine a Republican prankster could come up with a more damning video than the one the Democrats showed to start their convention, with the tagline "Government Is The Only Thing We All Belong To":



I am not a slave to government. I don't "belong" to government. I do not think of myself as being part of the government. I am an American. Our government is not the same thing as our country. It is a function, not a creed, not a family, not even a nation. The nation "America" exists apart from our government and is composed of people and organic traditions, beliefs, history, and ideas.    Ronald Reagan said it best:  we are a nation that has a government, not the other way around.

But Democrats think differently. They think that we all "belong" to the government, which means that government can confiscate the fruits of our labor, and that our very existence is granted to us by our lords and masters in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment